For those in need of modifying or terminating a conservatorship, you will need to file something known as the Petition to Terminate or Modify Conservatorship. With this form, you will fill out the information related to the conservator and make a request to the court to either modify or terminate the conservatorship.

The Petition to Terminate or Modify Conservatorship is a State Court Administrative Office form. If you are in need of the form, reach out to us. We can send that, as well as any other necessary court documents your way.

Most of these State Court Administrative Office forms are associated with Michigan Court Rules and statutes. The Petition to Terminate or Modify Conservatorship is no different. The Petition to Terminate or Modify Conservatorship is associated with MCL 700.5431, which states:

The protected individual, conservator, or another interested person may petition the court to terminate the conservatorship. A protected individual seeking termination is entitled to the same rights and procedures as in an original proceeding for a protective order. Upon determining, after notice and hearing, that the minority or disability of the protected individual has ceased, the court shall terminate the conservatorship. Upon termination, title to the estate property passes to the formerly protected individual or to successors subject to the provision in the order for expenses of administration and to directions for the conservator to execute appropriate instruments to evidence the transfer.

In addition to this statute, the Petition to Terminate or Modify Conservatorship is pursuant to MCL 700.5414, MCL 700.5415 and MCR 5.125(C)(25). To help you understand this form better, Darren Findling of The Probate Pro covers everything you’ll need to know in this video.


Like Darren, we’re ready to help you understand all things related to probate. So, if you have any probate related questions, don’t hesitate to give The Probate Pro a call today at (833) PROBATE. Our legal family is ready to help you.