You have been appointed as a fiduciary by the probate court, but you live out of state or even out of the country. What do you do? Well, distance from the probate court can make it difficult to stay up to date and to fulfill your duties as a guardian, conservator, or personal representative. Hiring local counsel can take the weight off your shoulders.

You’re an Out of State Personal Representative: What you should know:

  1. The Michigan probate courts will allow people to qualify and serve as a guardian and/or conservator from out of state, or even out of country.
  2. By serving as a personal representative, guardian or conservator, you’re consenting to the jurisdiction of the probate court within the county where the ward or estate is located.
  3. You may need to get “bonded”. This means providing a surety bond that guarantees your fulfillment of your fiduciary obligations.
  4. It’s often encouraged that you hire local counsel in order to ensure timely filing of pleadings, as well as attending hearings scheduled with the probate court.
  5. As fiduciary, you may want to hire other professionals to assist you in performing the fiduciary roles. Some examples are CPA’s, realtors and professional care providers.

If you live out of state or out of the country, it’s important to know that you can perform the role of guardianconservatorpersonal representative, or trustee in Michigan. In such a position however, it’s critically important to have local counsel to assist you. You should seek out an experienced probate attorney who understands the process and will be able to guide you through the difficulties that your distance from the court creates. In Michigan, that local and experienced firm you seek is The Probate Pro. Give us a call today at (877) YOUR-FIRM. Our legal team can support you wherever you are.