Did you serve, work, or live at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days between 1953 and 1987? The Probate Pro can assist in reviewing whether you are eligible to receive compensation. President Biden signed the Camp Lejeune Justice Act, allowing military personnel and their families who suffered injuries or death from exposure to the water at Camp Lejeune to bring a new claim for compensation. For more than 30 years, service members and their families stationed at the Camp Lejeune military base in North Carolina drank and bathed in water unknowingly contaminated with hazardous chemicals. People or loved ones of those who lived, worked, or were stationed at Camp Lejeune who experienced a water toxicity-related illness may be eligible for compensation.

Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Health Issues

If you served at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune or Marine Corps Air Station New River in North Carolina, you may have had contact with contaminants in the drinking water there. Scientific and medical evidence has shown an association between exposure to these contaminants during military service and development of certain diseases later on. If you have qualifying service at Camp Lejeune and a current diagnosis of one of the conditions listed below, you may be able to get benefits.

Camp Lejeune Eligibility Requirements

You may be eligible for disability benefits if you meet all of the following requirements.

Both of these must be true:

  • You served at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River for at least 30 cumulative days from August 1953 through December 1987, and
  • You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge when you separated from the military

And you must have a diagnosis of one or more of these presumptive conditions to be eligible for Camp Lejeune benefits:

  • Adult leukemia
  • Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
  • Bladder cancer
  • Kidney cancer
  • Liver cancer
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
  • Parkinson’s disease

What was in the drinking water?

Two on-base water wells that were shut down in 1985 had these chemicals:

  • Trichloroethylene (TCE)
  • Perchloroethylene (PCE)
  • Benzene
  • Vinyl chloride
  • Other compounds

Who’s eligible for benefits?

  • Veterans
  • Reservists
  • Guardsmen

What kind of benefits can I get?

  • Health care
  • Compensation (payments)

How do I get Camp Lejeune benefits?

You’ll need to file a claim and provide supporting documentation:

  • Your military records showing you served at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River for at least 30 days from August 1953 through December 1987 while on active duty, or in the National Guard or Reserves, and
  • Medical records stating that you have 1 or more of the 8 illnesses on the presumptive conditions.

What happens if the person entitled to benefits has died?

Sadly, many people have died before receiving the benefits that are now available from the government. And, many have died from unrelated causes. Either way, claims for benefits can be made through their probate estate.

When someone dies and there are benefits available, in most states a person must get appointed by the probate court to have legal standing to pursue the lawsuit. Generally, if the person eligible to receive Camp Lejeune benefits has died, a personal representative must be appointed by the probate court to claim the benefits.

What are the main causes of death directly related to Camp Lejeune’s water contamination?

The primary causes of these deaths are as follows:

  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
  • Cancers of the bladder, brain, cervix, colon, esophagus, female breast, kidney, larynx, liver, lung, oral cavity, pancreas, prostate, rectum, and soft tissue
  • Hematopoietic cancers
  • Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
  • Leukemias
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
  • Non-cancerous kidney diseases
  • Non-cancerous liver diseases
  • Multiple sclerosis

What is Probate?

Probate is the process of administering a deceased person’s affairs.

What is a Personal Representative?

A person who is appointed by a probate court to administer and represent a decedent’s probate estate.

Who is The Probate Pro?

The Probate Pro provides probate coordination and probate legal services to hundreds of mass tort and personal injury attorneys across the country.

Need help? Call (833) PROBATE.